Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Of a little tree and a tarnished silver tray


Pine boughs collected during my wanderings through gypsy trails…

Now made into a pine cone little tree…


The old tarnished silver tray was the perfect receptacle where to showcase my little pine cone tree… but of course, first it needed a makeover…


So I gave it a more modern look…
to match with the overall decor of 
our little white cottage
Pretty!


The following day I decided I should add some sparkle and bling girly-girl thingies to
my pine cone tree and make it into a chandelier of a thing… hehe!


I love how the tray turned out... what I did?  I spray-painted it in white, and once it was dried I glued a  scrapbooking stencil I had purchased at Michael's onto it using Mod Podge.  The lightweight paper is perfect for any project. You can use it to create a scrapbook page, fold it into a flower, for a picture frame, or like I did, use it on your decoupage project. Before I glued the paper stencil onto the tray, I painted it with some leftovers paint I had in the same color I’m painting almost everything in my home…  "Primitive", from Americana Décor, but you can paint yours in whatever color you want, or leave it white, which was the original color.   And voilà


Over the years I have collected a few pieces of tarnished silverware… trays, and teapots and such, but it had never occurred to me then I could paint them… I used to love the patina that old silverware gets and that dark lovely finish.  And I still do, but they were kind of a sacred thing to me back then when we were living at the house in the roses and used them everywhere round the house… as flower vases and kitchen utensils organizers and bathrooms bins.  But now that I’m in my little white cottage things have changed… I have changed. For once, I’m provoke to take risks and I’m painting everything I see fit without a bit of remorse or guilt… it is almost a catharsis, really.  So freeing.  


My little pine cone tree is now embellishing my favorite girly room, but the white tray has remain in the kitchen… still looking lovely. I like the idea of using wire baskets and trays to corral things on counters and cabinets.   This not only helps with clutter, but it also makes everything look prettier…

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Cielo

 
LINKING TO:

 BE INSPIRED

LAVENDER GARDEN COTTAGE

KNICK OF TIME INTERIORS

NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY

IVY AND ELEPHANTS

7 comments:

  1. Cielo, I love what you have done to that tray. All the beads on the old twigs. Very different but enchanting. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The branches are lovely with your special touch. I also started to paint objects without worry - and you are right - it is very freeing and it makes me happy! Love how you are making your sweet cottage into a home that brings you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tray is very darling! I also love the old patina of silver but enjoy painting them to give them pretty makovers! I am the newest follower of your blog.
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nice meeting you... and thank you for following!

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. The tray looks lovely painted white. I went to A LOT of TROUBLE and TIME shaking needles off an old Christmas tree so I could decorate it similarly. I am slapping my head here - branches! Why didn't I think of branches! Great idea. Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how difficult doing that might have been... Think of branches next year! ;)

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. This is just lovely, Cielo. Spray paint is one of my favorite things for a quick change. Your tray turned out beautifully,
    and I LOVE the decorated branches. Such a clever and unique idea!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...