Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Love at first sight

It cannot exactly be said that our little white cottage in the woods was a conscious discovery; nor have I a sensible explanation on how I happened upon it one morning other than perhaps it was the house itself that enticed us to it?

Certainly, there were forces beyond our understanding working on our behalf in finding what it was to be our new home in this new chapter of our lives.

Finding the type of home that suited us best, considering our lifestyle, housing needs and budget, wasn't any easy task. We spent months searching, but there was always something that kept us from making a decision... including someone once putting a higher bid just minutes after we had put up an offer on a house we really liked, and the owner accepting it. Which at the time was very baffling to us… but certainly, God had something far better on His infinite loving mind for us—a less than perfect little white cottage, but certainly a cottage in perfect accordance to the secrets desires of my heart…


One evening, after searching houses online almost to a point of exhaustion as we had been doing for months; I put together a list of some houses I wanted to see.  The following morning I drove through several neighborhoods looking for these addresses.  I had no idea in the first place what got me to include our little white cottage to my list because there was nothing to it that could possibly had gotten me interested by just looking at the only photograph the realtors had posted on their website.  And being the visual type of a person that I am, I would had not normally bothered seeing it.  But there I was that morning, driving through the hilly neighborhood.

I was about ready to leave the neighborhood when all of a sudden, coming down a very step road, off of a dense wooded area, nature opened up and there it was—the little white cottage; pristine like the morning itself, and shinning like a diamond among all other houses in the neighborhood. 

I was instantly charmed by it...  It was like having walked into a clearing in the middle of the woods and suddenly discovering Snow White’s little cottage. 

Because our little white cottage lays on a corner lot, and I had gotten there by a side road that morning, I couldn't really tell that this was actually the house I was looking for.  Imagine my surprise and absolute joy when after driving down the front of the house I discovered the 'for sale' sign on the lawn and noticed the address.  


Surprise and astonishment cannot express what I felt then. And the amazement grew stronger and deeper as soon as I got out of the car and headed towards the back yard...  You see, what I found there was beyond my wildest expectations—I was in the midst of an aviary… dozen of birds were congregated on a little mound right in the heart of the backyard. Immediately to my mind came the sign I’d asked God for:  “A single bird” on a tree, Lord, as a sign that you are guiding us.
 

The next thing that took my breath away was the pond.  A little cement pond; cracked and dirty.  I had always dreamt of having a pond where I could grew Koi fishes and water lilies… but I had never expected this amount of real joy. Oh can you not see it?  Not see all the possibilities?  Koi fishes and frogs and birds and maybe a majestic Great Egret to surprise me on a quiet afternoon? And around the pond pink roses, hydrangeas, coneflowers, Dahlias, Solomon’s Plume and Hostas and  mountain mint and Angelica and asters and Blue mistflower and water-borne flowers for the pond!  Water lilies and lotus and brilliant red cardinal flowers and white or purple pickerel rush… swamp Jessamine, creeping gardenia, Lenten rose… excitement! 


My heart already envisioning the possibilities, the joys and wonders and thankfulness… and above me I could see God smiling down at me.   


The small backyard was nothing close to what I had originally in mind for a backyard. In fact, it is a small lot and it is in total shambles right now.  Weeds are growing everywhere, and it's looking more like a wild onion field right now than a backyard.  But the possibilities are endless and what I saw that morning kept me wishing for more... like some magical hanging baskets of joy and fairy lights coming down from heaven twinkling down over me. 

And right off the pond what did I see?  A little sunroom filled with sunshine and glory.  How I always, but always wanted a sunroom!  None of the houses we’d seen till then have had a sunroom. This was definitely an added blessing.   


Right off the edge of what constitutes the backyard laid a thick wooded area of privet and broken branches.  Several huge trees that fallen down at one point; exposed roots already growing new shoots, and more privet everywhere.  A discouraging sight at first indeed, but then from the midst of all that rubble came the songs of birds… I listed.  I searched.  And oh the privet was populated by songbirds by the dozens, all of them, including Nature itself, lullabying my morning.


Where others may see only work and wasted land I see hidden treasures everywhere.  Back at the house in the roses, the city has a Nature Center where I used to go often.  In a certain corner of the park, there is a little refuge for birds where snags and dead trees abound.  Snags are Habitat. Snags are "animal inns" that provide homes for wildlife species including insects woodpeckers, owls, songbirds, squirrels, raccoons, snakes, frogs, and salamanders. I remember sitting for hours in a little stone bench, observing how birds, and squirrels and nature all joined hands together in a harmonic connection; simultaneously praising their Creator for every goodness there is on earth… and now wonderfully for me, now I had found my very own Nature Center in my very own backyard… how astonishing, and utterly happy I feel.


The surprises kept mounting.  The following day I brought my husband to see this little white cottage I’d discovered… I was astounded and elated with joy when he guided me further into the privet and showed me the little creek running among old branches and tickets, right through our property…



Hiding in dense shrubbery we also found a little bridge which long ago had served as the link which connected the backyard to the woods beyond…

Can you imagine? Can you imagine what I felt then?  Bliss, excitement, delight, and imagination put to high, and astonishment.  Total astonishment. And thankfulness.
 
  
How can I say thank you enough Father?  And how can this little speck of dust that I am can sing enough praises to your name; Thou who art my refuge, and my protector and my song.


 I have many more stories to tell already about this creek and privet land... much more.  But I will tell you more in another post… stay tune and come back to share my joy!




25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Cielo! Your new house is just lovely. I see the possibilities too! I'm positive that in no time you will transform your little cottage in the woods into The Little White Rose Cottage in the Woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I will I will transform it... roses, hydrangeas oh hydrangeas... I can't wait... I can't... ;)

      Thanks for stopping by

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. This place looks perfect for you. I can't wait to see what magic you will create in that yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginney... when all it's done, we'll have to have a tea party and invite the fairies over....

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. Our prayers have been answered!! I am so very happy for you, and can not wait to share all of the beautiful things you will be able to do. Blessings Cielo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Delaine... prayers are the perfume of hope and faith and all good things... thank you.

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. I am beyond words so very happy to hear you are there in such a pretty place. Heavenly cottage in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... beyond words that's how I fee... I had always dream with having a little white cottage... and in the woods! Oh dear dear... I'm beyond words.

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. How wonderful for you............... your post was so uplifting and inspiring!!! We miss things sometimes when we don't see thru God's eyes... our vision is sooo limited......... The possibilities are endless aren't they!! The red door has welcome home allllllllll over it!!!! Congratulations ... and I am so glad I thought to look you up today!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Terri... that sounds deliciously wonderful... the red door welcoming us home! How lovely!

      Thank you

      Cielo

      Delete
  6. Oh Cielo, this is truly your home, where you belong...It has you written all over it. The house, the pond the bridge to fairyland. I can feel the joy in your heart and cant tell you how happy I am for you. This is a blank canvas with more possibilities than one could hope for and we have not even seen the inside of the house yet. Congratulations and please keep the pictures coming so we can share your new journey.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry... my friend, my soul sister... I love you! I'm so very happy and thankful beyond words... I can't even express my feelings correctly... it is truly a dream come true! And I know you totally understand. Wish I had you close. God bless you my friend!

      Cielo

      Delete
  7. Lovely home and can't wait to see you decorate it. Blogger has been having trouble. I cannot join your blog. This has been going on for alot of people. You may want to put a bloglovin button on so we can join it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know Betty. I had to jiggle things around a bit to be able to put the follower's button because Blogger didn't let me. I'll see what I can do.

      Thanks

      Cielo

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful cottage! I cannot wait until you transform it into your magical garden and fairy castle! Congratulations! By the way, I had trouble getting to your blog, also. I finally got here with my Kindle Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know about this Ginny... I noticed it too but don't know how to fix the problem... I'm working on it thought. Thanks

      Cielo

      Delete
  9. Cielo, what a beautiful home. I'm so happy for you that your dreams have come true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely home. I love the little pond and the little sun room (or porch). I know you are going to have so much fun transforming the inside and the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. April 22, 2014

    I finally came upon this new blog, of your. :-) I am so very happy for you. It is a diamond. It is. And it's been waiting for you to come along, and notice it, and pick it up, and be filled with joy.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH! I am so glad to find you- I lost track of you when you moved. I can't wait to see more- what a perfect home!!!! I can't wait to see you work your magic on it- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you through Tessa's blog. It will be so interesting to follow along and see what you do with this pretty little house. All those windows! How lovely. You sound so enchanted with your find.. I am happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So here you are! And I see the jewel that it is too! Its ALREADY WHITE and though I don't use red in my life, the front door to a home in red is the most welcoming and lush view to any visitor.
    Ooh the possibilities! THAT BRIDGE ALONE is enough to make me swoon....you must have Fairy Balls in the Woods. And I can see all the flowers you mention, the hydrangeas and roses especially....I am in love with hydrangeas too especially blue...will love to see how you progress here. blessings, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so blessed to have found your dream home. How I envy you :)
    btw, who is singing on your blog. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to find you again Cielo so glad this is indeed the perfect little cottage for you. In all that surrounds you. I have added myself plz come to visit me again and i will spend some time looking at other post.. With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cielo ~ First of all thank you for visiting my blog and your very kind and encouraging comment.

    I love this story about finding your little white cottage in the woods, and the way God worked it all out.

    I will be back to visit. I did see a link to follow your blog, so have saved your blog address to get back to visit you again. I am really inspired.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...