Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The day I finally met the witch who lives in my woods

I went on a hunt for sightings and discoveries right in the heart of my woods this afternoon.  The mellow light of October was streaming down through tired canopies and lower branches where, leaves swirling down from higher up get caught, and form their very own canopies.


Birds were nowhere to be seen, and I’m conjecturing that racoons and squirrels, too, have already packed away their summer things in cute little flowery luggage, and travelled far.  Until the new spring returns to the land. 


Upon arriving to that part of the woods where a clearing opens up and light fully illuminates the grounds, I found the most strangest of things… 


A chair!  
Weather-battered and old and pink, 
and just lovely to me....


...and right by it... oh, I found the strangest of all things... a freshly cut hydrangea bloom and a cup of coffee.  Still hot.  Steam was coming up from it in little swirls that went up and up, and up until it formed a mini cloud almost above my head.  Then, puff!  The cloud instantly condensed against the chilly air.  


Oh, I felt terrible for having disturbed what was about to be a wonderful time for someone, just right here.  Imagine, being immersed in nature with a cup of coffee; feeling the ground underneath your feet as you focus on being present and enjoy your environment and the scenery… I couldn't imagine interrupting such lovely thoughts! 


But then, that’s when I heard it… a rustle among the leaves, a soft fluttering or crackling sounds…  leaves rustled in the breeze and, down the edge of the woods towards the gardens, that’s where I found her…


A woman all dressed in black sitting on a stump. Her eyes closed. Her mind far far away... so it seemed.  Who was she?  I had to wonder.  The witch who lives in my woods, perhaps?  She seemed to be channeling some higher Spirit in nature or something like that.  But then, something startled her… she stood up, and proceeded to survey the area around her, as if looking for something... or someone? 


Oh dear me, was I in trouble?  I figured that maybe she instinctively knew someone was spying on her?  I know I do that all the time.  But what was I to do now?  I hold my breath in as best I could, and tried to become very small... a teeny tiny of a thing part of the woods of sorts.  Just to escape from her.  


The woods looked so lovely at that time of the day.  Each moment opened up a new door, a new poem, it bestowed new graces, new dreams to dreams and hold onto, new songs to be sung with the heart of the soul.  It is no wonder the witch didn’t seem to be disturbed by my presence at all.  


She didn’t look being frightened by anything either.  In fact, she was getting ready for a foot bath bliss time!  Yes yes… a foot bath from heel to toes in her one of a kind deluxe foot spa!  A birdbath of all things!!  That is, a birdbath bursting with rotten leaves and debris and soil and yikes!!  Now, don’t ask me why would anyone do something like that.  All I can say is, “a witch is a witch".  And, "who can understand a witch!” 


But let's not be too harsh on her, shall we… maybe she was just taking a little detox clay foot bath her own way?  They are one of the most effective and beneficial detoxification methods ever, you know.  I once read that doing clay foot baths can draw a lot of toxicity directly out of the body.  Although, I wouldn’t think using a birdbath for that matter… at least, order some high-quality clay!  Like bentonite. OK. ;)

I’m just glad I’d finally got to meet this witch who lives in my woods… even if it is just when I’m leaving.  Perhaps, she would move with me to the house in the roses and make for herself a little house among the petals, so that I can see her wandering around from time to time?  Or would you think she’d much rather prefer living on this picturesque area, filled with magic and history?  A land where, long ago, lived a group of people who were forced out of their land forever.  I’m referring to the Cherokee Native American tribe.  They were forced out and many perished on the infamous "Trail of Tears" on their trek to Oklahoma.  

We happened to live just a few feet down the road where the trail of tears begins…  This town is home to the Cherokees.  So much history contained here, so much enchantment and mystery grounded on this land.  Just only yesterday on my way home from Walmart, I happened to see a man walking down the road, a direct descendant of those Cherokees, and I could not but wondered how many of them are still here, how many more buried here, how many of them lived right here, in these very same woods skirting our little white cottage? 


If I’d be that witch who lives in my woods I would not want to move to the city any more than the Cherokee people wanted out of their own land.  So, I suppose she stays here… or at least, part of her forever will.  And that, I know.


15 comments:

  1. -smile- You just came on, as I was about to leave. Our spirits "passed" in cyber. So I will enjoy your post, before "hanging up my keyboard" for the night.

    And before I forget... Tomorrow night is The Dark Of The Moon. I'm sure your witch, will love it!

    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you have your "twirl" back! Spinning, wonderful and mesmerizing tales for us. Thank you for sharing.

    I too doubt she would want to leave this land. This land, with so much connection to history. To those who lived here, once. And to those, who still live here.

    I live in an area, where Northern Native American Indians lived/roamed. We know, because they discovered the amazing springs, which are all around us. Which then, the White Men discovered and flocked to, for their healing abilities.

    Did these people live, on the very land, where we built our home, 50 years ago? Did the little woods across the street, cover the whole area, then? Did they find/make clearings, on which to build their Indian dwellings? I'd love to know... But have never really researched it.

    But they must have known this area! Because of the springs. So it is not far fetched, to think that they were buried in this area. And since our mothers 'make us,' with what it in their area.... The food grown, is grown in land, which contains all that has gone before it. We are, what we eat. Soooo, our mothers 'made us,' from the local land. :-)

    So, even though my DNA is Northern European, was there still some of the original peoples here, in me, when I was born? :-)))

    Mmmm, this might not be as great a thought to others, as it is to me. I apologize, if any readers don't share my enthusiasm.

    You, keep dwelling in your wonderful imagination. Keep sharing with us. Please.

    And think, of new wonders, you will find, when you return to The House In The Roses. And again, wander in your garden. You will not see the present. You will envision the future there. And the 'sprites' will be happy to help you!!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cielo, your story telling is incomparable...Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi... thank you! It's whimsical October! It must be!

      Cielo

      Delete
  4. So happy you met the witch of the woods. The meeting was long over due but I think her spirit will travel with you no matter where you live, just as your spirit will forever reside at the little white cottage. In the beauty of the gardens you created from nothing to the free and joyous soul of the gypsy girl who once danced there under the summer sky. No matter who lives there in the future it will always remain as you left it in you mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful, Sherry... I will treasure these words in my heart forever.... precious, uplifting words, like some magical poem.

      Thank you....

      Cielo

      Delete
  5. Ah, yes... I am so glad you two finally converged! I so remember the fairy tea party you attended when you left The House in the Roses... I sobbed reading that! But this time I think either the witch or her twin sister might just come along with you... All I know is that wherever you go, the magic will follow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend... I'm happy, and blessed that I can also take with me all of you, my dear readers and friends... Truly blessed!

      Cielo

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your time in sunny Florida!!!

    Put a ray of sunshine, into a little jar, and bring it, home with you.

    Travel safely,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad the witch revealed herself to you. I think it was her way of thanking tou for the magic you brought to the cottage garden.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...