Thursday, August 17, 2017

A day in my life...

Half an hour late... I started my jogging routine today half an hour later than my usual morning time, and in just that short period of time things had already changed so drastically... the land was already burning, little creatures were hiding, and bird songs were silenced from my ears... the sun-scorched roads sizzled and hissed at my feet like a rattle snake being startled on her path...   


Twice, or three times I've seen this happened here since we've moved to the south.  I mean, men spitting when you approach and they hear you talk (I have an accent - I'm minority - I wasn't born here - I'm not even a Baptist).  It happened again today with one of the air-conditioning guy who came by to work on our air conditioner...  and no, he wasn't chewing tobacco.   I don't know if this even has a meaning, or if it's just something that's passed on from generations to generations through social culture, or peoples' DNA... something that grows on these men by watching their fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers doing it?  Or is this behavior something that just comes out unconsciously, for no specific reason?  And if is something purposely done, what does it mean?  I just don't know, but whatever it means, this behavior makes me feel terribly dishonored...  

After all I have seen in just the few years we'd lived in the south, and all I have experienced in my last job, I've started to believe that this is yet another form of covert racism... Southerners... they are often the picture of manners and Christianity when everyone is watching. Sadly, it's the rest of the time you have to wonder about... I've seen this happen time after time... and I just have to wonder if perhaps this is yet another proof that tells us we should move back to the North?   Bring those statues down--I will say!  And let our beautiful world be united, not divided. One God, many faces. One family, many races.  One truth, many paths.  One heart, many complexions.  One light, many reflections.  One world, many imperfections.  ONE.  We are all one, but many.  


This August is been the greenest month of all the year.  The garden is laughing in the sunshine, the massive elephant ears grin among the small wildflowers, and in the background laid the dark green wood, every tree and every leaf is a bird nest, and some creature meadow....  


Roses have been blooming again... 
and the butterfly bushes are home to dozens of butterflies and other winged friends. 



They're so into their 'nectar sampling', that you can almost touch them...


Right after the air-conditioning guys left, soon thereafter was another knock on my door... this time it was my neighbor Manuel, who came by with a gift he and his wife had brought for me from their native Guatemala...   


Isn't this the cutest of bags!  And so nice of them!


I am sickened by all is going on in our beautiful world... the news sickens me...  everywhere I see there's destruction, death, hate, horrible attacks executed under the banner of religion. Please Lord Jesus, come back soon!  Peace, not chaos. Love, not hate. Convergence, not segregation. Tolerance, not discrimination. 



17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Cielo. Maybe those are all signs from God pointing you home. I loved my parents, too, but if your husband's heart is 'back home' that is probably where you belong. I had the bible pounded into me many times about the "leave and cleave" directive but I do believe you have to follow your head in some of these matters (which don't always match the heart issues). Is it possible you could move back home and then spend some extended periods with your mom/dad if you needed to do so? Life is just full of unexpected twists and turns, isn't it?

    Love those gifts from your neighbor. What sweet people. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking your time to comment, Diana. My husband, to whom I've been sharing my comments with, in search of wisdom and reaffirmation was very impressed with your words. You are on his team for sure! ;))

      Thank you again

      Cielo

      Delete
  2. Yes, pointing you home....

    From the sound of you, how much longer can you stay there, without it really hurting your own health????

    What "good" will you be, to anyone, if you become ill?

    Your first thought has to be, of your partner in life, your husband. I don't think we need any scripture, to let us know that. It's just a given.

    How would it impact him, if your surroundings, make you ill?

    And how much help could you be, in the long run, to your parents, if you stay, and your surrounding make you ill?

    Questions... Put gently.... With love....

    Many gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm just feeling sick about all is going on in the world in general.... and I guess is just the same everywhere, no matter where we go... our world is in chaos for sure...

      Thank you Ms. Luna

      Cielo

      Delete
  3. Yes I am very sad and sickened by all this hate, but it just makes me want to fight back even more against intolerance, injustice, hate and racism !!!

    You are a beautiful person, creative and full of life; you inspire many people and what nice neighbors you have who have you in their hearts. (And what a cute bag too)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friend... may peace and love abide...

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That you be touched by any shred of prejudice makes me sick at heart. Nothing is really working out right now. I am going to have to make some drastic changes in my life, activities, news watching, and daily presence in the "real" world. I think you are miraculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the love... thank you dear friend... going through a lot these days too with mom and dad in Fl. My heart is breaking. Thank you for the prayers.

      Cielo

      Delete
  6. I have lived in the South all my life, born and raised and I know what you mean. I think we can be the most friendly people around, but also the most prejudice. I just don't understand how people can judge one by their religion or by their race. To me we are all one people. It makes me sick to see how this nation has become, but the South has always been this way. Unless you have a friend or a relative that is not white and Christian you really do not know how Southerns will treat you. Not all are bad so don't anyone get mad. As I said I am from the South myself and it makes me ashamed when I see how some treat others horribly because they are not White and Christian. We are planning on moving when Hubby retires and we do want to move where there is more freedom of religion and race. I do believe that there are places like that in the US. I hate to hear what you are going through, but being Happy in your Home is the most important thing. I hope you and your Hubby will be able to have that, where ever you live. Sending out a great big Hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty... for your words of encouragements. There are also all those good people, like you, everywhere. I thank God everyday for them... for YOU! Thank you friend.

      Cielo

      Delete
  7. I have just discovered your blog, and I am really enjoying what I have read so far. Is there a way of subscribing, so that I don't miss any new posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found us... I'm not sure how to make the 'subscribe' function to work. Is that the same as the 'followers' function? I'll work on that and see if I can come up with something like that... thank you! And welcome to our little white cottage in the woods!

      Cielo

      Delete
    2. It's in the gadgets section, but not to worry. I have bookmarked your page, so I can keep stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Cielo: I have the same issue as Harriet. I have never been able to figure out how to subscribe to your posts so I receive them automatically. I hope you can help us. Also, my heart goes out to you with regard to the decision about leaving the South and moving back North. For what it's worth, I think Luna Crone made a good suggestion to allow your Fisherman to make the choice. Your heart is too torn. I wish your parents could go with you to the North, but since you have not mentioned that as an option, I assume it is not one. I'm also sorry you are finding such rudeness in the South. You have a lot on your shoulders. Hang in there and try to continue enjoying your gardens. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanie... yeah, the trip to take mom to where we're moving is almost impossible, being her condition... too far.

      Cielo

      Delete
  9. I understand how you feel. I hope the actions of the every day heros in Texas have restored your faith in southerners. I'm making a point to be kinder to my fellow man where every I go. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie... yes, there are also those others out there... good abounds too in our precious world.... may we continue doing that...

      Cielo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...